In the fourth edition of the contest, the jury will choose the winners in given categories:
1. Grand Prix for the best text about music published in 2017
2. The Main Award in category article/feuilleton and The Main Award in category review/report
3. Honorary mention for a Debutant, a person who has just started his/her activity in the field of music journalism
4. The Special Award for a text about Polish music, published outside Poland.
competition statuettes, project: Ewa Odyjas, photo. Bartosz Dąbrowski
In the fourth edition of Polish Music Critic’s Competition “DOT” financial prizes, funded by the Institute of Music and Dance and the Polish Society of Authors and Composers ZAiKS, will be given:
1. Grand Prix for the best text about music published in 2017 – PLN 3.000, the founder of the Grand Prix award is the Institute of Music and Dance
2. The Main Award in category article/feuilleton – PLN 2.500
The Main Award in category review/report – PLN 2.500
The founder of Main Awards is the Polish Society of Authors and Composers ZAiKS.
3. The honorary mention for a debutant is granted by the PWM Director-Editor-in-Chief.
4. The founder of the material prize for the laureate of the Special Award is the Adam Mickiewicz Institute
Apart from financial prizes, the winners will also receive statuettes, diplomas and material prizes funded by the Adam Mickiewicz Institute.
Winning papers will be published, with the consent of their authors and first publishers, in the Internet magazine MEAKULTURA.
Moreover, this year, the following awards will be given:
- The Fryderyk Chopin Institute Special Award
- Special Award of Polish Composers’ Union (Musicologist Section) for promoting music in radio and television
- Piotr Metz Individual Award for a text about popular music
- MEAKULTURA Foundation Award for outstanding achievements in the field of music criticism
The prize-giving gala will be held on December 5, 2018 at the headquarters of The Polish Music Publishing House (PWM) in Warsaw.
The Main Award is supposed to honor and bring to a wider audience, individuals who are important for Polish music criticism and who are often undervalued or simply unknown outside a small circle of listeners of one type of music. The aim of the competition is the development of appropriate models for music criticism by promoting authorities in this field and increasing the level of criticism, especially in popular media. Music bloggers are also invited to send their best texts to enter in the competition.
Honorary mention for a Debutant is a chance to draw attention to young authors who often struggle to find their place in the profession. KROPKA ("DOT“) can become an excellent opportunity for the young generation of critics to demonstrate their skills to the wide audience. Their efforts will be evaluated by outstanding specialists of music criticism.
Special Award is addressed to authors who do not have Polish citizenship and publish articles beyond the Polish borders. This category is supposed to present the achievements of foreign musicologist and journalists who have devoted their work to researching and promoting Polish music in the world, and knowledge about them in our country is often minimal.
The Organizing Committee of the contest is co-created by Polish scientists, doctoral students and outstanding students of the humanities. The Jury will consist of remarkable personalities which shape the most important events of cultural life in Poland, related to the activities of cultural and science institutions.
The main co-organizer of the competition and the Grand Prix Founder is the Institute of Music and Dance.
Głównym Współorganizatorem Konkursu oraz Fundatorem Grand Prix jest Instytut Muzyki i Tańca.
The competition received support from Polish Society of Authors and Composers ZAiKS Fund
Organised in collaboration with the Adam Mickiewicz Institute as part of
the Polska Music programme